Education and Career Guidance (ECG)
Education and Career Guidance (ECG) equips Gessians with the necessary knowledge, skills, and values to make informed decisions about their education and career pathways. A good ECG curriculum prepares students for successful transition from school to further education or work, as part of their lifelong learning.
The GESS ECG curriculum aims to:
- nurture student’s self-awareness and self-directedness for lifelong learning;
- enable students to explore education and career options, by equipping them with accurate and comprehensive information.;
- help students develop a growth mindset and a resilient attitude to embrace future opportunities, and appreciate all occupations across society; and
- create opportunities for students to build positive connections with the community (such as teachers, ECG counsellors, parents, industry partners), to develop an appreciation for different career pathways.
Key messages of ECG
1. Discover Who You Are
Develop your values, interests, personality and skills throughout life to fulfil your aspirations, and use them to shape the society you want to be a part of in the future.
2. Navigate Pathways with Confidence
Explore your education and career options, as you think about what you want to do, and who you want to be, in future. The more you learn, the more you will be ready to confidently take up opportunities that are presented to you.
3. Make Informed Decisions and Own Them
Continue to grow your knowledge and skills to expand opportunities for yourself. Explore how you can tap on such opportunities to pursue your aspirations. Take positive steps to embark on your education and career plans.
4. Keep Learning. Be Resilient
Continue learning throughout your life and view setbacks as opportunities to develop yourself and grow. Be adaptable and resilient as you build a fulfilling career.
Key programmes for each level at GESS:
- Sec 1: MySkillsFuture onboarding, ECG Learning Fortnight
- Sec 2: Subject Combination Exploration
- Sec 3: Education Pathway Exploration
- Sec 4/5: JC talks, Polytechnic courses exploration, ITE engagement session, EAE and DSA preparatory sessions, JC and Polytechnic Open Houses.