To nurture Gessians into active citizens who serve with compassion and who love Singapore.
VIA is a valuable student development experience that GESS provides for our students to nurture them into active citizens with the heart to serve others in the community with compassion.
Besides the activity alone, GESSCares encourages student ownership and initiative, providing a platform where students reflect on their experiences, the values they have put into practice, and how they can contribute meaningfully to impact the people they interact with. We adopt the 3P (People, Places, exPeriences) approach when planning the VIA activities to allow students to interact with different people from all walks of life and visit different places to learn.
Key VIA activities include:
- GESS Clean: keeping our environment clean (cleaning of our school premises, beaches and neighbourhood),
- GESS InterAct: interacting with the elderly and residents at Thong Kheng Senior Activity Centre, Thye Hwa Kwan Senior Activity Centre and Boon Tiong Residents’ Committee,
- GESS Read: reading to the Primary school students (kidsREAD programme with Gan Eng Seng Primary School & Read Well Programme with CDAC),
- GESS Excel: tutoring the primary school students in their Mathematics (Math Tutoring Programme with Alexandra Primary School & Math Tutoring for our Sec 3 students),
- GESS Serve: Serving and supporting community events such as Henderson Dawson National Day Observance Ceremony and Fairprice Share-a-Textbook.
KidsREAD programme with students from Gan Eng Seng Primary School (GESPS)
Words of encouragement to a P6 student from Alexandra Primary School (ALPS)
Interacting and Exercising with the elderly residents of Thong Kheng Senior Activity Centre
Participating in the Henderson-Dawson National Day Observance ceremony
Supporting the NTUC Fairprice ‘Share-a-Textbook’ scheme