Hi 5 – 18th September 2015 by Mr Limm Tiong Hock Albert
Good morning Mdm Tan, Mr Lee, Mr Tan, teachers and Gessians,
The Hi 5 topic is Resilience for this term.
Frequently the most successful people are those who refuse to give up prematurely. They persevere long after most people would have given up.
The American president Calvin Coolidge (who served from 1872 – 1933) wrote: “ Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press on’ has solved and will always solve the problems of the human race.”
It is natural for your motivation to waver when you’re working on a large scale project or when you have faced numerous setbacks. It is only natural not to remain motivated all the time. Persistence will mean that you keep on working, even when the goal seems impossible to achieve.
Resilience means you experience, you feel, you fail, you hurt. You fall. But, you keep going despite the odds.
So take control of your thoughts, as these influence your attitude and actions. Then follow through on the goals and targets you have set. Achieving short term and easier goals keeps you motivated as you strive to achieve the longer term goals. Then work hard and smart to attain them and you’ll be amazed at the outcome.
Term 4 is a short term. GCE ‘N’ level Examinations have started this week, while the ‘O’ level written Examinations will start in a month’s time . For all other levels, your End of Year examinations will start in a week’s time. I urge all Gessians to be resilient as you revise your work, practise past exam papers, and clarify your doubts with your teachers. Persist in your preparation and revision so that you can realize the full potential that all of you are gifted with. Onward!
- Prelim 2 Exam – 4Exp & 5NA
- MT Oral Exam – Sec 1Exp, NA & NT
- GCE N(A) & N(T) Level Listening Comprehension – EL Syllabus
- GCE N(A) & N(T) Level Listening Comprehension – MT/BCL/BML/BTL
- GCE N(T) Level CPA Practical Exam
- EL Oral 2Exp, 2NA & 2NT
Term 4 – Resilience
• Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning.
• The most important educational goal is learning to learn.
Luis Alberto Machado
• No matter how much falls on us, we keep plowing ahead. That’s the only way to keep the roads clear.
• Just because I face a defeat does not mean I am defeated.
• It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.
E. E. cummings
• You never really lose until you quit trying.
• Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
• Problems are not stop signs, they’re guidelines.
• Never, never, never, never give up.
Sir Winston Churchill
• Only those who dare to fail greatly, can ever achieve greatly.
• What you repress will make you regress.
Michael H. Ballard
• An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
• Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.